In 2009, SUSD acquired the freehold of the White Lion Public House in London Colney and converted the old pub building into a fabulous family dwelling. The White Lion was previously significantly larger and more than just a drinking establishment, in 1756 it was recorded to be a ‘large Inn’ with 22 beds and stabling for 60 horses. However sometime in the late 1960’s the coaching Inn attached to the public house building was demolished. The site of the White Lion public house dates back to 1653 and is the earliest recorded pub in London Colney.
The architectural form of the White Lion is deemed to have an importance and significance within the social and urban fabric of London Colney. SUSD fought and won a planning appeal with the local planning authority to have the white rendered coaching Inn building reinstated so that the project would closely represent the original architectural form.
In reinstating the white rendered stabling block alongside the original pub building SUSD were able to create two new energy efficient homes using an innovative interlocking terracotta block system.
The substantial 19th Century red brick Victorian building fronting St Annes Road was sympathetically converted to a large family home retaining its existing historic features, brick façades and pleasing window pattern.
The collection of buildings is common with the historic fabric of the London Colney conservation area and enhances the characteristic typology of the village. The development of the new homes improves the London Colney community as family homes are considered a priority.